Sunday, November 20, 2016

Catching Up Over Coffee.....

If we were to meet up for a cup of coffee (which I so gladly relish these days after not being able to stomach a cup for 14 solid weeks)......

....I would first want to know how you are doing. What's been going on in your life? What's on your heart? What are you pondering? What are your worries? And how are the details of your life unfolding?

...you might remark over the fact that there's no hiding my pregnancy any longer. At just about 20 weeks, I no longer fit in my original pants, my breast size is at least a cup larger, my body fat stores are higher, and there's a definite wide bump that now looks like more than just a few extra packages of cookies on my waistline. I'd probably tell you that overall I'm feeling better although there is the occasional day that leaves me laying on the floor of my office due to light-headedness and I'm still always tired. I'd also tell you just how grateful I am for the great diversity of maternity clothes that have been loaned by 2-3 of my dear gals and purchased new-to-me by my dear mother. Beyond picking up a few more staple items, I'm already pretty much set with a solid wardrobe for both work and regular activities. It never fails that feeling good externally also impacts a level of feeling good internally.

...because you know me, you might ask about my physical activity level. I'd probably share that I'm barely sweating these days, although I'm trying to be mindful of walking the dogs several times a week and getting in one (3ish mile) hike on the weekends. I am truly hoping to get up to the snow at least 1-2x this winter in order to go snowshoeing. In my mind, I envisioned trying to run consistently throughout my pregnancy and continuing to be very physically active, however I'm actually feeling okay with just being pretty gentle with my body and conserving energy as I can to get through longer days.

...I might tell you about how I'm still working both jobs, which means that I teach on Tuesday evenings and spend at least one weekend day grading. After a stressful last year, I'm probably also share that I'm feeling pretty fortunate regarding the group of students this year and the courses I'm teaching. I plan to continue teaching both jobs through next term and then will mainly be working from home for just my full-time position in spring. However there is much in the air regarding work for the coming year, mainly due to me not being sure that I can work a full-time schedule when I know I can't afford full-time child care. I'm trying not to stress about it and am seeing what options present as it gets closer.

....In good financial news, I just re-paid my credit card off, will have my car fully paid off next month, and will hopefully (barring any usual car issues, medical issues, unexpected expenses that can always arise) have a bit saved by the time the little one arrives. There's still one large debt that will still now be hanging over my head for at least the next 5-10 years, but at least financially things are "seeming" manageable.

...In relation to that I might also tell you that I'm halfway through the application process for the next level needed for my schooling, aka potentially returning for a doctorate. I'm not sure that next fall is the best timing nor if I will be accepted/funded, but if I want to continue in academia then a PhD is a requirement of the profession. More on this......later.

...I might also tell you that Major (the cat) has a love affair with this child and I'm already brainstorming ways to ensure that he doesn't attempt to sleep curled up next to the baby upon its arrival. For several weeks, he literally slept right next to the fetus...and now he's transitioned to sleeping on all the items in the baby's room. Ha!

....while Major is pretty intuitive, the dogs have yet to seem to notice too many changes. And Roxi is currently battling skin allergies that I'm trying to home remedy. (Some of her allergies seem to be stress induced, so it might be that she actually is cognizant of some changes and isn't adjusting well...)

....I'd probably tell you that best bud is finally heading back to the Portland area for what might be a few months. While he might not be crashing in the guest room during all that time, I'm still looking forward to having at least a few regular hours of uncontrollable belly laughter and being able to bounce thoughts around with someone who truly gets me, knows how to uplift me, and yet isn't afraid to hurt my feelings if needed.

....I might also tell you that I've been spending time re-immersing in some of my grad school literature and environmental health topics. I just finished re-reading Sandra Steingraber's Having Faith, which was a hugely impactful book for me to read several years ago. I'd forgotten some of the research she shares regarding toxic exposures and child health outcomes, but the book is also fascinating just due to her review of the development changes that occur within the fetus. (She's an biologist/ecologist, who gets pregnant, discusses the pregnancy, and also reviews some of the major environmental concerns impacting health outcomes across the globe.) It would not be the best thing for a pregnant woman who had no knowledge of these topics to read during her pregnancy, but I truly feel it's a book and a topic that more people need to be aware about. (Such as, the average newborn is born with 180 toxins in his/her cord blood....) I also just picked up her other two books: Living Downstream (her first book looking at cancer outcomes based on exposures) and Raising Elijah (raising kids in a toxic world). Since I'd never officially read it, I also picked up Rachel Carson's Silent Spring.

...I'd probably also tell you that I just read most of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. (She's a national midwifery and natural childbirth guru.) This book was referred to me by many of my friends. I belong to a circle of incredible women of all types but many of my friends & family have delivered naturally. While I fully support natural childbirth, I'm not going to lie that now that it's here I'm a bit on the fence even knowing some of the issues and challenges that the medications available can bring. Reading through Ina May's book was uplifting and did give me much to think about and brainstorm on this topic (including some additional strategies to assist with natural labors). While a few pieces seemed "out there" and there were a few statistics that seemed to be presented slightly off, I appreciated the information within the second half of the book. (The first half is full of personal stories that I appreciate but found cumbersome also.) If you have delivered a baby, I might also ask for your input on why you made the choices you did and how it went? (I seem to be asking everyone this question :))

....if you're like many of my friends and family, you'd probably ask me if I plan to find out the sex of the child....and I'd tell you that I am for the sake of my mother and that we "should" find out at the ultrasound on Wednesday.

....I'd probably end coffee by asking you if you have plans for the upcoming holidays (if you celebrate them) and reflecting upon how ready I am for what can be the coziness and comfort of the season, that I'm looking forward to getting a tree, and planning on just doing donations to organizations for some of my family and gift cards for the teens/kiddos. I'm looking forward to family time, good nutritious food during this upcoming week, and lots of time to hone in on the blessings and gratitudes that are present.

Then I'd give you a big hug and let you know how fabulous it was to see you & catch up....and how much I appreciate you in my life as a valuable person and/or friend before wishing you well for the week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment